Let’s Design More Joyful Learning Experiences
The Modern Learners Community is a place where educators collaborate to Create a more joyful learning experience for all.
We’ve been waiting for change to come… and thanks to the pandemic, now it’s here. But it’s not exactly what we had hoped for.
It’s time to get proactive and CREATE the kind of schools we want TO work in and learn in.
You’ve been in the education business to make a difference. You feel frustrated knowing that so many learners are slipping through the cracks.
Even though the pandemic shifted everything everything seemingly overnight and you’re ready to get back to normal, you’re also faced with the reality that “normal” wasn’t all that great to begin with. You believe this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to create a new, better “normal”.
While you wish there was a “magic bullet” solution, you know there are things that will take time to change.
You’re ready to work… all you need is some guidance and support.
The Modern Learners Community is like a training program, a support group, and a mastermind all rolled up in one.
We want to help you create an inclusive, joyful environment for your learners. One where every learner can finally reach their full potential… and feel seen every step of the way.
We don’t just give you the tools for change. We help you dig deep, ask the tough questions, and purposefully design the type of experience that makes learners and educators alike flourish.
As a Modern Learners Community member, you get more than just professional development courses. You’re also plugged into a network of people who can support you in your next big goal. You’ll never feel alone in this battle because you’ll be surrounded by people who can help you get on the right track again.
Modern Learners Community will help you stay up to date on everything going on in education, solve complex problems, grow in your professional identity, and create change much more quickly than you could by yourself.
Here’s How We Do It
A Network of 900+ Educational Leaders
Ultimately, any successful movement relies on people who are committed to making changes.
Being a member of the Modern Learners’ Community will put you in good company! There are over 900 educators in our global network who are having a lasting, positive, and inclusive impact on schools.
Our group of education professionals includes principals, assistant principals, teachers, instructional coaches, consultants, curriculum specialists, technologists, superintendents, assistant superintendents, school psychologists, technology coordinators, student services coordinators, program directors, directors of clinical services, learning coordinators, board members, parents, and more!
Many of our members have decades of experience in the school system, and we’re all about sharing and learning with each other.
Professional Development Courses
Educators Are Learners First.
We know that in order to create a good learning environment, we have to be learners as well.
Modern Learners puts a great deal of emphasis on staying current with what’s going on in the world, our industry, and the lives of our learners.
That’s why we’ve created a suite of professional development workshops and courses that will help you and your schools perform even better.
You’ll gain access to courses on inquiry leadership strategies, assessment design, instructional coaching, establishing community partnerships, online professional learning, and more!
Have the important conversations that motivate and drive change.
Our community stands for the belief that real change happens only if we’re willing to speak up and have the conversations that matter.
Every week, in the Modern Learners Community online hub, you’ll find a wide range of engaging conversations to join – including themed topics (e.g. learner agency, assessment, literacy, digital safety, culture, learning design, etc), new podcast episodes and blog articles, research polls, the Friday Five (an ongoing series where we curate and share 5 thought-provoking posts) and more.
You can also take part in live virtual events where you can chat with your fellow education professionals in real-time about important news and events and the work you are doing in your school.
What our members are saying:
Here’s what you get when you join the Modern Learners Community:
- A suite of self-paced professional development courses, including: Navigating Inquiry Leadership, Collaborative Leadership Essentials, Coaching and Professional Partnerships, Reimagining Assessment, 10 Principles of Modern Learning, and Designing Online Professional Learning
- 24/7 access to a private online community website, so you can focus on what matters without the distraction of other platforms like Facebook groups
- A network of 900+ education professionals from around the world dedicated to creating better learning and teaching experiences for all
- Access to ongoing forums where we gather to have the conversations that matter, get answers to pressing questions, stay up-to-date on current events in education (and beyond), and share our expertise with each other
- Invitations to live virtual events where you can network and communicate with your peers
You’re Ready to Join the Modern Learners Community If:
- Your passion is creating a better education experience for learners and educators alike
- You try your best to keep up-to-date on what’s going on in the world of education (and beyond)
- You’ve made (or at least recommended) changes in your local school system You want to see change happen on a grander scale
- You’ve been involved in conversations about how to get it done
- You have no idea what to do next, but you’re willing to put in the work to figure it out
The Modern Learners Path to Create More Joy
We want being part of the Modern Learners Community to help you to grow and find joy in your work.
Not just for a little while, but for the rest of your time in academia.
Once you’re a community member, this is what you’ll do:
- Work through our collection of professional development courses
- Engage in weekly discussions via our forums, articles, podcasts, the Friday 5, live events, and more
- Start & lead conversations among the community by asking your questions and sharing your thinking
- Build relationships with others in the community by sharing ideas, receiving/giving feedback, and offering support
- Advocate for Modern Learning in your local school community (and beyond)
- Interact with your students and staff to talk about what it means to be a modern learner
Modern Learners Community Members also go on to do things like:
- Share their experiences in the community and at live events
- Guest blog on the Modern Learners Community website
- Become guests on the Modern Learners podcast
- Serve as mentors to new Modern Learners Community members
Join the Modern Learners Community for just $47 a month!
Ready to go all-in? Get 2 months FREE with an annual membership for $470!
Meet the Behind-the-Scenes Team
Missy EmlerChief Learning Officer
Missy has served in a variety of roles throughout her career in education: special education teacher, principal, Statewide Systems Coach for Universal Design for Learning. As the owner of the Modern Learners Community, Missy has found great joy in coaching school leaders along their journey to create a strong culture of learning in their local communities.
Lyn HiltCommunity Manager
Lynn has 20 years of experience as an educational leader, having served as an elementary school principal, an instructional technology coach, and as a teacher at both the elementary and middle school levels. As community manager, she works hard to share relevant and inspiring content with you and to ensure that MLC is a place you consider your learning home.
Hazel MasonCommunity Manager
Hazel has been a superintendent of education, a principal in four schools, and a guidance counselor. She is passionate about modern learning and hopes for a brave new education world. Hazel’s career in education has provided her with many experiences to share. She coaches through an inquiry model, and she’s ready to support school leaders on their learning journey.
It’s a movement, not a moment
Modern Learners Community is a diverse, global group of over 1000 teachers, principals, and educational leaders who want to commit to grow courageously as agents of change.